Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Peace

At my new job, whenever I bring up internet explorer the home page is msn.com.  MSN always has article on the top of the page that interest me.  However, daily there is an article related to race, religion, and sexual orientation.  I am always compelled to read the the comments on the articles and what I quickly realize is how divided we are as a nation.  Many of those comments probably come from people we know personally but would never know they felt that way.  Some comments are thought provoking even if I don't agree others are hateful and mean (keyboard courage).  Reading them gives me a lot of mixed emotions and many times I feel compelled to comment.  However the internet filter here at the office won't allow me.  It's a good thing probably as it gives me time to really chew on what I read instead of making impulsive comments.  This article shares my thoughts on the articles in a broad sense after having time to chew on them. In relation to the topics of the articles, I am a Christian black male who is straight and married with two kids.  Based on that you (the reader) can probably surmise my opinions on the topics of race, religion and sexual orientation.  Your conclusions would probably be right as well.  Of those attributes that I have the most important to me is Christian and those that know me know that I am unashamed and always willing to share my faith.  The key word there is share, not force it, not point fingers, but discuss it in love.  To me the bible is absolute truth and anything that contradicts it is a lie.  Some would say that makes me dogmatic or brainwashed.  My belief in the bible doesn't mean I don't question it, but that I trust it as the inspired word of the living God.  So I draw my opinions on race and sexual orientation from the bible (others may have different interpretations of those subjects from the bible as well).  My prayer is that my thoughts always align with the bible and if I am wrong, I don't mind being corrected.

The issue I have with our nation now is that we cannot agree to disagree anymore.  If you don't believe what the other believes, it's a fight.  Some things are worth fighting for others are not.  I fear for our nation after reading these articles because people are being persecuted for their beliefs (Christian and non-Christian).  We as Christians are even participating in the persecutions in some instances.  As much as I would like to choose my side and fight, I decided to be the peace maker. Matthew 5:9 states blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the children of God.  I don't know what that looks like yet, but that's my stance.  Although emotionally I want to do differently, that's what I believe the spirit wants me to do.  How else can you be a peacemaker than to present the Prince of Peace?  So the same bible that I said I trust above, I will trust to help me be the peace maker.  This song by Da' Truth featuring Swoope I believe captures the spirit of what I am trying to say.  In the mean time pray for our nation.

2 Chronicles 7:14 - if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

No comments:

Post a Comment